Week 5 Story: The Streets


The Streets

Tyrone and Sasha were a very loving couple and have gone through a lot together. They were together when Tyrone was arrested and sent away to live on his own. Tyrone and Sasha were together when Sasha was kidnapped by her crazy ex-boyfriend. This may have been one of the worst tragedies this couple has faced. However, through it all, they have stayed together and have managed to keep their relationship intact. This was until the rumors had started. Many rumors were surfacing that Sasha was not kidnapped by her crazy ex-boyfriend, but that she had left on her own accord to be with him. Tyrone did not want to believe the rumors and so he did what any man would do. Tyrone made a secret plan to test her. He decided he would have his friend slide in her DMS to see if she was loyal. To Tyrone's surprise, she had passed the test with flying colors. His friend did all he could to shoot his shot but in the end, she still turned him down. Tyrone felt guilty and even ended up telling Sasha what he had orchestrated. She was not angry with him and was even more understanding than anything. However, even after this test, the couple continued to face hardships. One day on a normal hangout with his friends, Tyrone, and his buddies began to talk about there relationships. Here, Tyrone's friends decided to tell him how they felt about Sasha. They pleaded with Tyrone and understood that Sasha and his relationship has gone through it all, but they truly believed that she belonged to the streets. To Tyrone's dismay, he could not ignore his lifelong friend's advice. Days had gone by since they told him how they truly felt. Tyrone could not ignore the voice in his head and so he decided to kick Sasha out, despite her proving her loyalty to him.

The Earth Takes Sita

(Source: PDE Ramayana)

Authors Note: For this story, I decided to adapt the story of Valmiki’s hermitage, which was my inspiration for this story. I felt the end of Ramayana was truly controversial as many would say that Sita did not deserve to be exiled. I decided to portray a more modern version of their situation, replacing Rama for Tyrone and Sita for Sasha. 

BibliographyPDE Ramayana, Valmiki's Hermitage

Comments

  1. Wesley, WOW! where to start lol. This story practically sums up relations in our current day and age and emphasizes how trust and relationships can undergo obstacles. This story was certainly a modern twist on that presented in the Ramayana and followed the theme of loyalty and trust. By titling the story, "The Streets" I think you eloquently spoke to an entire generation. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wesley!

    This has to be one of my favorite stories I've read throughout this whole course. I really like how you were able to modernize the story that you retold using social media and the title. "The streets" is a frequently used term during this generation and it really shows how the epic you retold can be compared to things that happen in today's age. I enjoy reading your stories because your writing is also very elegant. The word choice you used sync's well with the context of the story. Also, why did you choose to test Sasha? Furthermore, why did you still have Tyrone "exile" Sasha if she passed the test with "flying colors?" What if you portray her actually being unfaithful after the test to show the audience a reason for her to be kicked out. Also, you should add something showing Tyrone protect his reputation, just how Rama did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wesley,
    I liked your take on this story. I agree that the situation with Rama and Sita at the end of the epic was not the best way to end it. After reading your modern interpretation of it, it only solidified how ridiculous the story felt like. I really enjoyed how you are able to connect the Ramayama into something based in modern times, it really acts to the perspective of the story. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wesley!
    I really liked your story and I found it hilarious. I definitely had a huge smile on my face as I was reading it. I especially liked how you used "slide into her DMs." I definitely think that being short and sweet is this story's strong suit. However, I think that a little more detail would make the story even better. For example, having a side story or a continuation that explains Tyrone's plan as well as making it more elaborate would add some cleverness to the story. Since this story is in a modern setting, I also thought that having Sasha react differently would be fun too.
    Let's Pretend (from Sasha's viewpoint) : Since this is a modern setting, why not let me a stronger voice? I don't have to stay quiet and go along with everything Tyrone has to say especially for the second time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Wesley,
    I really enjoyed reading your story, and when I saw a story named "The Streets" I was definitely pulled in, and not disappointed. The best thing about this story is how you had such a strong grasp on what was going on in the real story, and you were able to bring it all together in a smart, modern, and hilarious story. Did you think about maybe giving some back ground into why he was arrested and the couples problems? I really think you could build of this story and make it better and better. One suggestion I would have for you is to maybe break it down into some more paragraphs and add some dialect to the story. Overall, I thought you did a great job. I definitely think think you should keep expanding on this story in the future and would love to come back and read the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Wesley, first of all, this was a great piece of writing. I liked how you made it so modern and appropriate to your audience. I will admit that there was a mild sense of humor, in my opinion. You did a great job pulling in the reader's attention, even with your attention-grabbing title. The only recommendations I have for you is to maybe think more about the character roles, and maybe make them more relatable to us. Also even taking an approach to tell the readers why the problems in the household happened or how they tried to fix it. Adding dialogue to your story will do no harm, and could quite possibly escalate your relationship between the characters. Overall I believe you did an excellent job maintaining the build on the plot. You could most definitely thicken the plot into another story for your portfolio.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Wes The Goat